Monday, December 26, 2011

The Day After Christmas



There was a time I would become overwhelmed with a lot of leftover food. Not any more. I actually plan to cook extra for Christmas dinner so I can play with the leftovers the next day or two. If I am having ham I will cook extra potatoes so I can make a tasty potato and ham salad the following day. I just cube some ham and potatoes, chop some onion and celery. boil a few eggs and I have the ingredients for salad. I will make a creamy mustard dressing and decorate the salad with radish slices and green pepper rings.
Sometimes I make scalloped potatoes if I do not have cooked ones. I just slice raw potatoes, onions and ham, layer them in a buttered casserole dish, season with salt and pepper and bake until the potatoes are soft. While they are baking I make either a white sauce or a cheese sauce to pour over the casserole when it comes out of the oven.
I also like a pasta ham salad. I cook bowtie pasta and combine it with cubed ham, frozen green peas, cherry tomatoes, slices of red sweet onion and grated cheddar cheese. I make either a creamy slaw type dressing or an apple cider vinegar dressing or both and people can take their pick.
Of course ham is great for breakfast too. I chop it up fine and add it to pancake batter. Real tasty served with eggs and maple syrup. They call them Christmas hamcakes. There are a lot of different dishes to make from ham, so experiment, you may surprise yourself, I did.
Everything I write about is from personal observation and life experiences. I love to cook and prepare foods in different ways. I like sharing my experiences about food and cooking. My website http://www.pothaven.com was created because of my interest in quality cookware and cooking.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/383333

No comments:

Post a Comment